Organizing can be an overwhelming task just like getting in shape, it can feel daunting without the help of a professional. But let’s face it, not everyone has the resources to have a pro come in and whip them into shape. Here are 5 things you can do so you can complete those long delayed organizing projects, once and for all!
1. Begin with the end in mind. Start with your vision because you have to know where you’re going before you figure out how to get there. Write down how you want your place to look and feel when it’s clutter free.
2. Buddy up. Grab a friend and have them be your organizing buddy. Choose a someone who is positive and won’t judge you or your stuff. Their job will be to keep you focused on the task at hand. It’s easier for a friend to keep you on course because they’re not emotionally attached to your belongings.
3. Make your project a priority. Act as if you were paying a Professional Organizer to come to your home for a declutter session. Schedule it and stick to it.
4. Set a timeframe. It’s easier to do a job if you know there’s an end time. If you have 30 minutes to declutter set a timer and stop when it goes off. Having a limit will make moving through your clutter a lot easier.
5. Choose now! Clutter is delayed decisions. If you pick up an object and put it aside because you’ll “decide about it later” then you’re adding to the problem. Force yourself to make the decision then and there. Are you going to keep it or is it time to let it go?